Sunday 8 February 2009

taking the long road

photo credit to Carnegie Mellon, although I can't pull up the actual paper it's from....

Oh, it's been busy around here lately. I've been working a lot, driving the twisty-turny back roads again (now with added ice and slush and the occasional loose cow!!) and wishing I had a camera in my head somewhere I could just click and take pictures whenever I wanted.

(Or...I could just remember to take the frigging camera with me. It might work out better that way.)

I came around a corner, bucking the slush, minding my own business, and there, in the middle of the freaking road, was a COW. Not a dog, or a deer, or a moose (the government swears they're around here somewhere) but a COW.

And I blame Bear for this, but my first thought as I fishtailed around it? (Okay, besides holyshitholyshitholyshit) was We are so throwing out all that stupid venison in the freezer to make room for this BEEF.

And then I was past the cow (I swear we locked panicked eyes there for a second) and in my head I started hearing the theme song from Enjoli.* (I can bring home the bacon. BA DA DA DA DUM! Fry it up in a pan BA DA DA DA DUM.)

And I'm a little sad tonight because I found a couch I liked, and B HATES it. (Capital H, capital A....) We went to the farm market up on the long hill (no website, but a lovely, lovely place high atop overlooking the whole town, miles of fields, a few farmhouses....) for apples (the Cortlands in the grocery right now taste like wet sawdust) and in a corner were two couches and a chair. Sold in a lot for an unbelievable price. Kind of elegant, but still looking like a good place to curl up and dream...

But they were covered in floral fabric, and B balked. He also wants to be the first to put his bum-imprint in the cushions. I can accept that.

But soon he and I need to have a meeting of the minds over what we're getting, because damn it, I want a new couch.

Or at least one that's new to me.






*If you don't recognize this even after googling or YouTubing it, you are obviously too young to be reading this blog. But still pretty!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new couch? Of course you deserve one! Make that meeting of the minds happen sooner rather than later so you can get what you want.

Stomper Girl said...

Good luck with the couch search. I know how it feels to want one. Luckily Fixit is not as opinionated as your Bear, or maybe I just never threatened his manly butt with floral cushions?

Anonymous said...

Well, at least YOU missed your cow, which is more than I can say, about 45 years ago. Right between the headlights, deader than a door nail.

Yours is all the more impressive, driving on ice and slush.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I has been banished from your blog cuz I am not knowing Enjoli cuz I is young.

Suzanne said...

Cuz I'm a WOOOOOO MAN
W O M A N

and whenever I see that bird, I think "Sally, please report to me" from When Harry Met Sally.

Anonymous said...

It's impossible to find Cortlands here after October, sawdust or no. They are definitely a farm stand kind of apple.
And my favourite.

I remember Enjoli. Sigh..

Chantal said...

I need a new couch too!

Loth said...

Not being young by anyone's standards, I am guessing that I am not knowing Enjoli cuz I is Scottish.

Anonymous said...

Um...I didn't know Enjoli. But thanks for thinking I'm pretty! In return, my vote is with you on the couch of your choosing. You want a new couch? YES WE CAN!

xoxox
Flicka

witchypoo said...

People who grow up with antiques just see them as old junk. That smells like old people.
I like antiques, but my say is final at my house.

Woman in a Window said...

I lucky, my husband likes the same cheap crap I like and is not fussy about butts, whose, where or how, as long as it's cheap!

ummmmmm...hamburgers...

Anonymous said...

I don't recognize that commercial but I suspect I'm not too young to be reading this blog. :) Maybe I just didn't pay much attention to commercials back then.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...